Friday, February 10, 2006

The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks

I just finished reading The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks, while at work yesterday. Apparently there was a lot of hype built up around this book when it came out this summer. The reviews have been mixed. Many people have named it as the greatest book they have ever read. Just as many say it doesn't come close to the hype created around it. I never even knew this book existed until I found it on a shelf in my local bookstore. I never heard the hype. I didn't know the catch phrases. I loved this book! It's not the greatest book I ever read. I'm not sure it can be called a modern classic, as I've seen it billed on one website. I thought the characters were fairly well developed, especially Maya - our reluctant heroine. I thought the plot was interesting, if not a little disturbing with all the modern technological paranoia running rampant inside the book's pages. It kept my interest. I wanted to read it. I didn't want it to end. Which I guess is a good thing since this is the first book in a proposed trilogy. Stories like this have been done before, both in books and on the silver screen, but it's a fast pace novel that does well with what it has.

Read below for a more detailed description:

Annotation - Gabriel and Michael Corrigan have been shaped by stories that their father was a Traveler –one of an elite group of prophets able to attain pure enlightenment. They have always lived "off the grid"—that is, invisible to the intricate surveillance networks that monitor people in our world.

Maya is attempting to lead a normal life in London. She wants to ignore the fact that she comes from a long lineage of Harlequins –a band of warriors pledged to protect the Travelers at all costs. When Maya is summoned to Prague by her ailing father, she learns that the Corrigans have just been located in California and they may represent the last surviving Travelers. They are in need of protection from the Tabula –ruthless men who are determined to inflict order on the world by invisibly controlling its population. Maya must fly to California to find the brothers before the Tabula do. She must become involved in the looming battle that will reveal a secret history of our time.

No comments: