Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Father Time is Overworked!

I'm not sure where the time goes anymore? Everything seems to go by so fast. It's already October and I feel as if it were only June a moment ago. Is it an age thing? Am I feeling time slip past me quicker now than I did when I was younger? I'm not sure, but I have a feeling it may be more than that. I have a feeling it's partially the age we live in that is at fault as much as it is my own AGE. Everything is faster now than it was when I was growing up, now grant you I grew up in the house that technology forgot and estrogen built - at least according to the Red King. In spite of that though, we only need to look at a few examples of the technological advances in the last 10 years to see what I am getting at.

Once upon a time, several years ago in the last century: -


  • There was no Internet. If you needed to research a topic you might have to go to the library. Now we have libraries in the 21st century. The difference? When you went to the library in the 20th century you looked your information up in a . . .gasp. . .book!

  • If you wanted to write to someone in the last century than you would write a letter and send it to that person through the mail. Now we still have mail in the 21st century, it's where you get you catalogues and Netflix DVDs.

  • In the last century, not everyone had a cellphone. You had to call some one's house phone. If that person didn't answer, you were lucky if they were technologically advanced enough to have an answering machine.

We now live in an age where we can keep in constant touch with family, friends, and work. This is both a good thing and a bad. I'm not saying it was better back than. Far from it, for I enjoy all things modern and techie. I find pleasure in the cutting edge, sometimes wildly outrageous, gizmos and gadgets. I just noticed that all this tech seems to make the world around us run a little bit faster. I can be on one of my games or talk on the phone and find hours are gone. Is it an age thing? Yes. The question become is it OUR age or MINE?

No comments: