Saturday, January 14, 2006

Living Vicariously

The glory of a new romance. The touch of your lover's hand brushing against your thigh as he reaches for the popcorn in the movies. The light nibble on the ear that sends chills up and down your spine. Dates that last for hours, just containing conversation and some wine. Roses left on your pillow. Love letters written in haste to describe what no words can ever desirable. These are the passionate throes of new loves. Women everywhere call it romance, and gentlemen, we crave it.

My husband, J, and I have now been married 5 years. We are almost together 10 years! Romance has fizzled to comfort. He loves me, I know that he does. However, it doesn't change the fact that I miss that movie-like romantic glow the world takes on when your newly in love.

This is where "living vicariously" comes into play. My roommate, K, has always been a great source for this. She use to come home and tell me all about her day and adventures in dating. I think most people have this kind of friend. A person who, you at least think, lives a more exciting life than you. A person you "live through" because you sometimes find yourself jealous of their excitement. K is the type of person that I sometimes wish I could be. Now, however, I don't want to hear anymore details. It's not that her life has become less desirable or that I don't envy the things she does. It's not anything she's done to lead me to stick my fingers in my ears every time she talks. K is now dating my brother JT.

I have no desire to do the horizontal tango with my own kid brother, Gods save us from 7 eyed octobabies. K, and JT for that matter, still think they should tell me intricate details or their relationship. I think they maybe doing it on purpose to make me turn pink. Many people enjoy seeing me blush in multiple shades of red!

So that leaves me with 2 problems:
  1. How do I pull of "cool" while I am running from them both, fingers in my ears, screaming "La, La, La, La, La!"
  2. Who do I get to live through now? I've never really been into romance novels or soap opera.

No comments: